Wednesday, September 19, 2007

This I Believe....

1. http://thisibelieve.org/dsp_ShowEssay.php?lastname=hawk&firstname=tony&uid=22870&yval=0&start=0
2. Tony Hawk
3. Do What You Love

–4. Take pride in what you do... even if it is misunderstood by others.

–5. "I have been a professional skateboarder for 24 years. For much of that time, the activity that paid my rent and gave me my greatest joy was tagged with many labels, most of which were ugly"

"When I was about 17, three years after I turned pro, my high school ''careers'' teacher scolded me in front of the entire class about jumping ahead in my workbook. He told me that I would never make it in the workplace if I didn't follow directions explicitly. He said I'd never make a living as a skateboarder, so it seemed to him that my future was bleak.Even during those dark years, I never stopped riding my skateboard and never stopped progressing as a skater."

–6. My youngest son's pre-school class was recently asked what their dads do for work. The responses were things like, ''My dad sells money'' and ''My dad figures stuff out.'' My son said, ''I've never seen my dad do work.''

I like this passage because it shows that you don't always have to be a sucessful worker and that you can "enjoy" what you do while making money and being sucessful.

No comments: